RSS

The Letters Page Returns!


DC Comics are bringing back their Letters Page!  Great news as far as I'm concerned.  I've always seen the Letters Page as a sort of fanboy time capsule at the back of every comic, freezing the views, gripes and speculation of fans for future generations to peruse.  Maybe it's just me, but there's something fascinating about reading letters from '90s fans vowing never to read another Batman comic until Azrael is out of the Bat-costume, or '70s fans complaining because Hawkgirl isn't a member of the Justice League.  These were the message boards of long ago and they'll never be deleted!

Also, if you're really lucky, you'll find an old issue with a letter from a fan who will later go on to become a comics professional.  Geoff Johns famously wrote into the '90s Superboy series suggesting that Kon-El should be a clone of Lex Luthor and Superman.  He would go on to make this happen a decade later in the pages of Teen Titans.  Recently I stumbled across a letter in the back of DC Comics Presents #40 from a young fan who would go on to make his mark in the industry.


Who knows, maybe it was the Air-Wave back up story in that very issue that inspired Todd McFarlane's most famous creation?


Probably not though.

But I have another reason for celebrating the return of the Letters Page to DC Comics.  As a child  I always wanted to get my letter published in a DC Comic.  Sadly I never got a single letter published and my nine year old self's complaints about the decision to change Robin's costume went unshared with the rest of the world.  Now I have a second chance!  I've already written to Supergirl and I plan on bothering the DC Offices with more of my half-baked opinions.  Maybe someday soon I will join the ranks of Geoff Johns and Todd McFarlane and get my letter printed in a DC Comic!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment