RSS

Justice League of America Vs. The Beano

This pic is completely drawn by me, unlike my previous post, Justice League Vs. Eastenders, which was half my drawings and half the original cover.  It's based on the cover of Justice League of America #21 (1963) by Mike Sekowsky and Murphy Anderson.  Calamity James, Dennis the Menace and Gnasher, Plug, Baby-Face Finlayson and Minnie the Minx are all the property of D.C. Thomson & Co.


I've discussed my fondness for The Beano in a previous post.  The Beano pretty much got me into comics.  I picked up a recent copy a couple of weeks ago and I'm pleased to say it hasn't lost any of its wit and charm after all these years.

I also checked out The Beano's sister comic, The Dandy and it's new look.  I was very impressed.  Previous attempts to make The Dandy appeal to a modern audience have felt very forced.  At one point it was called Dandy Xtreme and asked the reader 'Can you handle it?' on the cover of every issue.  Yeah, thanks Grandad, I probably can.  The latest makeover is much better.  The numerous references to celebrities gives it a distinctly modern feel and there seems to be more fart gags than when I was a kid.  But the humour is very British, very silly, very recognisable as The Dandy, and most importantly very funny.  Desperate Dan is actually funnier now than when I was a kid.  If you get a chance, check it out.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment